Is there a limit to how long a holder of Spouse visa can be away?

For many types of UK immigration, the visa holder (you) can’t be out of the country for more than 180 days in a 12-month period if they want to apply for indefinite leave to remain. The good news is that people with spouse or partner visas don’t have to follow this rule. But a lot of the people are worried that they may have spent too much time outside of the UK don’t seem to know this.

Marriage Visitor Visa FAQs

selective focus photography of silver colored engagement ring set with pink bow accent on throw pillow

A Marriage Visitor Visa can only be given for a maximum of six months. During that time, you will have to get married or start a civil partnership in the UK. After that, you will have to go back to your home country or where you live. But if there will be a long time between giving notice and the marriage or civil partnership, the officer in charge of entry clearance can give a multiple-entry visa that is good for up to a year.

What does a spouse need for indefinite leave to remain (ILR)?

Spouses or partners of British or settled persons can apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK up to 28 days before they reach 60 months in the UK with leave as a partner so long as they have been granted leave in the 5 year route.

ILR applications can be processed very quickly – the super priority service is available for a fee and offers 24 hour processing by the Home Office.