It’s a great feeling for a family to receive that balikbayan box sent by a relative abroad. The same feeling resonates on senders who feel sense of fulfillment of bringing joy to families back home.
However, not all items are allowed inside the box; some are dangerous or in violation of customs laws. Therefore balikbayan box senders should not include them.
The following items are prohibited inside every balikbayan box sent by Filipinos overseas to consignees/recipients in the Philippines.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Dismantled Auto Parts (Chop chop)
- Cultural artifacts and pottery
- Dog and cat fur
- Firearms, Explosives & Guns, including parts of
- Food products such as cheese, meat
- Hazardous Materials
- Trophies, gold, Haitian
- Meats, Livestock and poultry
- Merchandise from embargoed countries
- Textiles (roll)
- Trademarked and copyrighted articles
- Fluids and Perishable food items
- Automobiles (any parts)
- Ceramic tableware
- Defense articles or items with military or proliferation applications
- Prohibited drugs and drug paraphernalia
- Fish and wildlife
- Fruits and vegetables
- Game and hunting
- Animal hide drums
- Pets, plants and seed, soils
- Used clothing or shoes of commercial quantity (Ukay-ukay in bales / boxes)
- Pornographic Materials
- Pirated items (DVD, VCD, tapes, etc)
According to Section 101 of Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines, the importation into the Philippines of the following articles is prohibited:
(a) Dynamite, gunpowder, ammunitions and other explosives, firearms and weapons of war, and parts thereof, except when authorized by law.
(b) Written or printed articles in any form containing any matter advocating or inciting treason, or rebellion, or insurrection, sedition or subversion against the Government of the Philippines, or forcible resistance to any law of the Philippines, or containing any threat to take the life of, or inflict bodily harm upon any person in the Philippines.
(c) Written or printed articles, negatives or cinematographic film, photographs, engravings, lithographs, objects, paintings, drawings or other representation of an obscene or immoral character.