Get an immigration health surcharge (IHS) refund if you work in health and care

You may be able to get money back if you paid the immigration health surcharge (IHS) and you work in health and care. May iba’t-ibang paraan para maka refund ka, depending on your visa and your job: kung ikaw ay Tier 2 visa holder or not. See below. This is based from the Home Office website

What is the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)?

Kapag nag apply ka ng visa sa UK to live or work, kelangan mong magbayad ng healthcare surcharge. This is called the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). Whether or not you need to pay, and how much, will depend on the type of immigration status that you are applying for. Where the surcharge applies, the current rates are:

  • £470 per year for a student or Youth Mobility Scheme visa
  • £470 per year for under 18s
  • £624 per year for all other applications.

So, kung ang application mo ay 2.5 years, you will pay £624 x 2.5 = £1,560. This is the normal fees being paid now by those applying for visas based on family and private life. Refundable din ito kung ma refused ang applications mo. But this article is for those approved applications, and wanted to refund because they’re working in the health and care sector.

When you can start to use the NHS (National Health Services)

Pwede ka ng gumamit ng NHS when both of these conditions apply:

  • you’ve paid the healthcare surcharge (or are exempt from paying it); and
  • your visa or immigration application is granted

Tandaan mo na kelangan mo pa din magbayad sa doctors prescriptions, dental treatment and eyes test and assisted conception (panganganak).

Who can get a refund

Kung ikaw ay Tier 2 visa holder, you should get a refund automatically. You can talk to your Human Resource to do this for you. If not, I can help you.

If you do not have a Tier 2 visa or you work in another health or care role

Kung hindi ka naman Tier 2 visa holder, you may still be able to apply for a refund. You can apply for a refund (‘reimbursement’) if either:

  • you’re a medical professional and you’re not eligible for an automatic refund, for example because you do not have a Tier 2 (General) visa
  • you work in another role in a healthcare setting

Healthcare settings include hospitals, GP practices, care homes and community healthcare facilities.


You must have paid the immigration health surcharge (IHS) and both:

  • work for an eligible company or organisation, for example the NHS or the Care Quality Commission (CQC)
  • have worked in your role for at least 6 months, for an average of at least 16 hours a week

The 6 months can include paid leave, such as maternity or statutory sick leave. You will not be eligible if you were unemployed or had unpaid leave for more than 28 days during the last 6 months.

What you’ll get

You can apply for a refund for one 6-month period at a time, starting on or after 31 March 2020.


If you paid the IHS on 31 December 2019, you could get money back for the period of time between 31 March and 30 September 2020.

You could not claim for the period of time between 31 December 2019 and 30 March 2020.

You’ll need to apply every 6 months to claim a refund for additional periods of time.


If you’re eligible, your dependants can also get a refund. You must include them in your application.

To apply, you’ll need:

  • your IHS number (this is a 12-digit number)
  • your National Insurance number
  • your email address
  • the name of your employer
  • copies of your payslips for the 6 months you’re claiming for – you can upload them as either a scan or a photo

If you’re applying for your dependants, you’ll also need their IHS number.

Need assistance?

At Queen’s Park Solicitors, we have the experience to advise you on the most appropriate UK visa for your circumstances and have the insight to make the process as smooth as possible.

As a team of well-experienced immigration lawyers, we have an established reputation for effective and efficient management and processing of visa applications, and for providing expert visa-related advice to suit your needs. Email us at or visit us at

Categories: Articles, Home, UK Immigration

2 replies »

  1. Hello po atty,si mister ko ba eligible?May 31,2019 po siya nag enter ng UK.Then nag work po siya sa care home from October 2019 up to present.

Leave a Reply