How To Apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain for Victims of Domestic Violence?

Domestic violence

If you or anyone has a limited leave to enter or remain in the UK as the spouse, unmarried partner, registered civil partner or same-sex partner of a British citizen or person present and settled in this country but whose marriage or relationship has broken down during the probationary period as a result of domestic violence, may apply for permanent settlement.

What Is A Domestic Violence?

Domestic violence comes in many form. And in our society now, violence could affect both women and men alike. Domestic violence and abuse can happen to anyone.

Pag sinaktan ka ng physical, domestic violence ‘yun!

On this post, we will mainly tackle about the domestic abuse which is also known as spousal abuse, when one person who is in an intimate relationship or marriage tries to dominate and control you. The purpose is to gain and maintain total control you. The abuser use fear, guilt, shame and intimidation and may also threaten to hurt you or those people around you.

Forms of Domestic Violence

  1. Sexual Abuse is a form of physical abuse when you are forced to inhibit to sexual activity without your consent. This is an act of aggression and violence.
  2. Emotional Abuse. Just because you are not physically hurt, does not mean your partner cannot abuse you emotionally. It can include verbal abuse by calling you names, blaming you and shaming you. There are times when emotional abuse can be far more hurting than physical abuse because of unkind words that reside in your memory bank.
  3. Financial Abuse. There are times when your partner will not provide you anything to eat nor support you financially if you don’t agree with your partner’s wish. The abuser will use finances to control your finances, withholding money and credit cards, stealing or taking your money and restricting you to an allowance or even preventing you from seeing you from working or choosing your own career. There are times that they will sabotage your job by calling you constantly and even fabricating story to send to your employer
  4. Physical violence. They will cause you physical harm and injury. The abuser will use physical force, assault which is treated as a crime.

Police have the power and authority to protect you from physical attack. You can even apply for this visa under Destitution Domestic Violence (DDV) if you think you cannot afford to pay the Home Office fees to apply for indefinite leave to remain as a victim of domestic violence.

Who is eligible for DDV

  • Only those who entered the UK or were given leave to remain in the UK as a
    spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same sex partner of a British citizen, or someone
    present and settled in the UK; and
  • Whose relationship has broken down due to domestic violence; and
  • Who are destitute and need financial help; and
  • Who are going to make a claim to stay permanently in the UK under the Domestic
    Violence Immigration Rule (Settlement DV).

Frequently Ask Questions (FAQs) in Tagalog

  1. Sino ang pwedeng mag-apply for settlement as a victim of domestic violence? Only those people who have been granted limited leave to enter or remain as the spouse or civil partner /same-sex partner / unmarried partner of a British citizen or Permanent Resident in the UK are able to qualify for settlement as the victim of domestic violence.
  2. Kelan pwede i-submit ang application? You should submit your application as soon as possible when you feel that you are abused. Hindi mo kelangan maghintay na ma-expire ang visa mo bago ka mag-submit. It is in your best interests to apply as early as possible so that your case is dealt with recent up to date evidence.
  3. Paano kung wala ako pambayad? Pwede mag-apply ng libre by asking for a fee waiver.
  4. Pwede ba ako mag-apply outside the UK? No. You must be in-country.


-Don Magsino MBA is a qualified Immigration Lawyer in the UK. Email don@stanfordlawassociates.co.uk 0207 316 3027 / 07446 888377. Office Address: Stanford Law Associates, 239 Kensington High Street, London W8 6SN

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply