What does “FLR” stands for in applying to extend a Spouse or Partner visa in UK?

If you want to apply for an extension of your stay in the UK based on your family life and relationship, you’ll need to fill out the FLR M form.

Your partner must also either:

  • be a British or Irish citizen
  • have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status – they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
  • have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
  • have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

FLR stands for Further Leave to Remain, and it refers to a 30-month (or 2.5 years) extension to stay in the UK as either:

Civil partner’s spouse
Partner who is not married
Partner of the same sex

The application to stay in the UK must be made by someone who is currently in the country and wants to extend an expiring visa in some categories, such as a spouse visa, or in other cases, switching from another category owing to a change in circumstances.

Anyone who can show they have been in a relationship equivalent to marriage or civil partnership for at least two years prior to the date of application for an extension of leave qualifies as an unmarried partner. If you come to the UK with the purpose of marrying or forming a civil partnership but have yet to do so, you can apply to extend your stay as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner using the FLR M form.

This FLR M form should not be used to apply for permanent residency in the United Kingdom.

Instruct me:

Do you want to instruct me? If it is a request for free legal advice I may not respond, I’m sorry. If you are looking for personal legal advice or help with your case, we have three different services available for differing budgets:

  1. Ask us anything on video link or telephone legal advice in 30 min sessions for £75.
  2. Application checking service for £450 if you have prepared your application yourself but want it checking for your peace of mind
  3. Full legal representation from £1,250 where we run your case for you.

We are Queen’s Park Solicitors. I am a  solicitor (lawyer) based in London, UK. My name is Atty.  Lindoven Magsino, BSc, MBA, GDL, LLM, Ph.D. (candidate). We are based at Suite 4, Stewart House, 56 Longbridge Road, Barking, Essex IG11 8RT, United Kingdom | Telephone: 02036437508 | Fax: 02033931725  | Email: donm@queensparksolicitors.co.uk | Regulated by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority (SRA) 566513. Visit us at http://www.queensparksolicitors.co.uk. 

Categories: Home, Legal Advise

Leave a Reply