Requirements for Marrying a Foreigner in the Philippines:

In this article, for clarity’s sake, I will discuss both requirements for Foreigners and for local Filipinos to marry in the Philippines. This is because the requirements are different.

Requirements for Foreigners to Get Married in the Philippines

Legal Capacity to Get Married Certificate. Foreigners who want to get married in the Philippines have to show that they are legally allowed to marry a Filipino citizen. Getting a certificate of legal capacity to marry is the same thing as getting a certificate of no marriage, or “CENOMAR”, in the Philippines. The Family Code of the Philippines says that this is a must. The certificate will be given to you by your country’s diplomatic or consular officials. This certificate is only good for 4 months, so make sure that you and/or your partner plan your request well. This certificate is also needed for a civil wedding in the Philippines by a person from outside the country. Read our article about the requirements for a civil wedding in the Philippines to learn more about how this type of wedding works. Contact the right embassy or consulate for more information on how to get a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage.

An original or certified true copy of the birth certificate. You and your partner will have to get original or certified copies of your birth certificates. For foreigners, this is a requirement for both civil and church weddings in the Philippines. It proves that you and your partner are both using their real names. Foreigners can get their birth certificates from the country where they were born, either online or in person. They can do this by asking for a birth certificate in person at their local registry, online, through the mail, or by calling the hotline for their statistics agency (or embassy).

Current /Valid Passport. Foreigners who want to get married in the Philippines must also show that they are real citizens of their home country by showing a valid passport or citizenship certificate. Foreigners must show the original copy of their passport and a copy that an official has signed. They have to go to their country’s foreign affairs office or consulate to renew or get a new passport.

An original or certified true copy of the divorce decree, judicial order of annulment, or deceased spouse’s death certificate (only if applicable). Foreigners must also show that they are legally single before getting married in the Philippines. If the foreigner has been married before or their spouse has died, they must get a copy of the divorce decree, a declaration that their first marriage was invalid, or their spouse’s death certificate. Getting this will also show that they are old enough to get married legally in the country. Please remember that this only applies to people who have been divorced, had their marriage annulled, or whose spouse has died.

Update photograph. Photos must be sent in to make sure that a person’s physical appearance matches their identity. The photo must be formal, and the background must be clear or white. It can be either 11 or 22, depending on what you need.

After you’ve met the basic requirements, you and your partner should check with the local civil registry in the Philippines to see if there are other civil wedding requirements for foreign applicants. Remember that you must meet most of these requirements in person before getting the records.

Documents For Filipinos Getting Married to Foreigners in the Philippines

PSA Birth Certificate. The PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority) birth certificate is a legal document that proves a person’s age, identity, and citizenship, among other things. The defunct NSO birth certificate will likely not be accepted, so Good evening. the PSA. The PSA Helpline makes it easy to get a birth certificate. This can be done online.

PSA Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR). Filipino citizens will need to get a copy of a CENOMAR from the PSA. This is similar to how foreigners need a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. Filipino citizens can get a PSA certificate of no marriage (CENOMAR) to prove they have never been married. This document is called “No Record of Marriage” or “Certificate of Singleness.” The PSA Helpline can also be used to order PSA CENOMARs online.

Valid ID. Filipino citizens must also show a valid ID to prove they are who they say they are. A civil wedding also needs to have valid IDs. IDs that work in the Philippines are easy to get; even people who don’t live there can get some of them. Here are some quick ways to get an ID from the government.

  • GSIS or SSS UMID Card
  • Driver’s License
  • Passport
  • BIR TIN Card
  • NBI Clearance
  • PNP Clearance
  • Philhealth ID
  • PRC ID
  • Postal ID
  • Voter’s ID

“Cedula” or Community Tax Certificate. A community tax certificate, or “Cedula”, is proof that you live in the country and are a citizen. This can also be given to a foreigner in the Philippines, but only if they need it to get married or if they need it to get a valid ID. People who are old enough and have paid a community tax can get it from any local government unit. The Cedula is only good for one year, so make sure you have the most recent version. You can go to the municipal or city hall where you live to get your Cedulas.

Updated Photo. Filipino citizens must also give a formal 11 or 22 pictures of themselves, just like their foreign partner must do. Make sure the picture is clear and that the background is white.

Death Certificate (only if applicable). Filipinos who have lost their husband or wife must also show a death certificate. Turning in this document also shows that they can legally marry someone else. To get a death certificate, call the PSA Helpline and ask for one.

Parental Consent. Filipinos who want to get married must get their parents’ permission if they are between the ages of 18 and 21. Both parents must show up in person or sign an Affidavit of Consent for their child to get married. A lawyer must also notarize the affidavit and get it signed by two witnesses. When one of the parents has died or is not around, the other parent can still sign the affidavit. Filipinos and foreigners who don’t meet this requirement can’t get married in the Philippines.

Parental Consent. Filipino citizens between the ages of 22 and 25 will still need written permission from their parents. To get this, the parents must either show up in person or write a letter saying they know their child is getting married. If one or both parents don’t agree with the marriage, the child must sign an affidavit saying that they told their parents and they didn’t agree. If the parents don’t agree with the marriage, it will take about three months to get the marriage licence. Also, this document needs to be signed by a lawyer and notarized.

Once you have those documents, you can move on to the next exciting step: applying for a marriage licence.

Barangay “Community” Certificate. Most civil registrars don’t need this document, but it’s best to have it on hand, just in case. Another easy-to-get legal document is a barangay certificate. This document says that you are a legal resident of your barangay, and it also says why you need this document. You can get this certificate at your own barangay hall. Before you can get a barangay certificate, you need to meet certain requirements and pay a small fee. Make sure you do these things correctly.

A marriage licence is a legal document that couples need to get before they can get married anywhere in the United States. It’s one of the things that foreigners and Filipinos must do in order to get married in the Philippines.

When you and your partner are done putting together the above documents, you can start the process of getting a licence. Here are the steps you must take to get the permit.

  • Go to the civil registry office in your area.
  • From there, get the application form and fill it out. Make sure that the groom fills out the left side of the paper and the bride fills out the right side.
  • Send all of the necessary paperwork to the town hall or city hall in your area.
  • After you’ve done everything you need to, get the claim slip and keep it.
  • You must attend the seminars to get your marriage licence.

After 10 days, couples who have asked for a marriage licence will get the licence. Keep in mind that the marriage licence is only good for four months after it is issued, so plan your wedding accordingly.

Church Wedding Requirements You Need To Prepare. Do you think that you will get married in a church? If you want to get married in the Philippines, you’ll need to meet some extra church wedding requirements.

In a country where religion is important, most people choose to get married in a church. There are many churches and parishes in the Philippines where weddings can be held. In addition to the things we’ve already said, here are some other things that must happen at a church wedding:

  • Canonical Interview
  • Certificate Attendance to a Pre-Marriage Seminar
  • Certificate of Freedom to Marry
  • Marriage Banns
  • List of Principal Sponsors
  • Confession

Other Requirements

Now that I have discussed about all the basic requirements for foreigners and local Filipinos to get married in the Philippines, you may have realised that getting married may take a lot of work and time. But don’t let this stop you from starting this new part of your life!

Once you have your marriage licence, you can make other plans with your partner or get ready for other marriage requirements that foreigners might need here in the Philippines.

You and your partner may be from different places and have different social standings. You and your partner might want to sign a prenuptial agreement to protect your properties, finances, and other assets. A prenuptial agreement is a contract that couples in the Philippines sign before they get married to protect each other’s assets. If the marriage doesn’t work out, this contract will protect both people in any way possible. It will also stop either of them from paying off debts while they are married.

You also need to change your status when you get married. When you get married, you don’t have to change your name on all of your official documents from your maiden name to your married last name. In our last article, we talked about how to change your marital status in the Philippines.

Now, get married. I wish you all the best in your future together.

If you want to contact me, please call our UK office at 0203 6437508 or email me at donm@queensparksolicitors.co.uk.

DISCLAIMER: All information posted is merely for educational and informational purposes. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Should you decide to act upon the information on this website, you do so at your own risk. If you want personalised advise, please email me at donm@queensparksolicitors.co.uk

Categories: Home, UK Immigration

Leave a Reply