- Self-Evaluation – Self-examination is one of the best gifts we can give to ourselves. It was Confucius who once said “Attack the evil that is within yourself, rather than attacking the evil that is in others.” In Lamentations 3:40 it is said: ” Let us examine and probe our ways, And let us return to the LORD…” In 1 Corinthians 11:27-31 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.
How are we in terms being a spouse? A parent? A worker? A friend? Assess ourselves.
2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Can’t you see for yourselves that Jesus Christ is in you–unless you actually fail the test?
- Self-Control – no one can control you. Even God cannot control you because of the doctrine of free will. God can also teach us the right thing to do and the curse of disobedience. In Provebrs 25:28 stated: “A man who does not control his temper is like a city whose wall is broken down.” Then in 1 Peter 5:8 “Be self-controlled and be alert.”
God gave us the free will and accountability to the consequences of our actions. Early pregnancy or unwanted pregnancy…because of no self-control. Mga magulang walang self-control in punishing their children.
In 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 Hindi baga ninyo nalalaman na ang mga nagsisitakbo sa takbuhan ay tumatakbong lahat, nguni’t iisa lamang ang tumatanggap ng ganting-pala? Magsitakbo kayo ng gayon; upang magsipagtamo kayo. At ang bawa’t tao na nakikipaglaban sa mga palaruan ay mapagpigil sa lahat ng mga bagay. Ginagawa nga nila ito upang magsipagtamo ng isang putong na may pagkasira; nguni’t tayo’y niyaong walang pagkasira.
- Self-discipline – 1 Cor 9:27 … 1 Corinthians 9:27 Nguni’t hinahampas ko ang aking katawan, at aking sinusupil: baka sakaling sa anomang paraan, pagkapangaral ko sa iba, ay ako rin ay itakuwil. Ang tao na walang disiplina hindi na sila kelangan siraan ng iba…because they destroy themselves.
4. Self-renewal – Maganda sa tao ang nagbabago para sa mas maganda. “Making a big life change is pretty scary. But you know what is scarier: “Regret.” If you want something you’ve never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done. Romans 12:1,2 – Christians are transformed (changed) by renewing their minds Change your thoughts and you change your world. Change brings new opportunity.
In Ephesians 4:22-24: “You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.”
5. Self-sufficiency /Self-reliance – ang iba parang parasite kase palagi umaasa ka sa kakayahan na ibinigay ng Lord sa iba. Kung anong meron ka, pagkasyahin mo yan. Hindi yong kelangan mo palaging kelangan abalahin ang iba para sa lang maging maginhawa ka. Totoo ang kasabihan ng matatanda: “Habang maigsi ang kumot, matutong mamaluktot.” Ang mga tao palaasa walang dignity…unless we are mentally incapacitate, under age or overage…1 Cor 11:9 ..I am not a burden to you in anyway…Just be contented to whatever you have at huwag mawili sa panghihiram at pangungutang para lang maipag mayabang ang buhay.
In 2 Thes 3:7 ..If any man shall not work, he must not eat. (unless he is mentally handicap, overage or under age). Parents should also established ourselves economically. Buti sana kung kalingain tyo ng ating mga anak. E kung hindi. Deserve before you desire. Yan ang mapupuri mo sa UK, ang mga bata masisipag. Sa atin sa Pinas, malalaki na pero mga batugan! Gusto lahat mga signature, pero di naman nagtatrabaho…Deserve before you desire. Basic needs should be the responsibilities of the parents, pero yung luho hindi na.
6. Self-confidence– Maraming mga tao hindi umaasenso kase hindi napakababa ng tingin sa sarili. People sometimes convince themselves, “I just can’t change. I cannot do it…because….alibis and excuses… It’s too late. I am uneducated…I am poor….Besides, I’m only human.” They are not just belittling themselves; they are denying God’s word. They will fail simply because they will give up instead of persisting to use God’s power.
Psalm 37:5 – If you commit yourself to the Lord and trust Him, He will accomplish His will for you. Your talent is God’s gift to you. What do you with it, is your gift to God.
7. Self-respect – wala ba daw lalaking bastos, meron mga babaeng bastusin. We teach other people to treat us by the way we treat ourselves. Anong sinasabi ng plato mo? Ang takaw ko.
In the same way, don’t let someone get comfortable in disrespecting you. Let them know you are ready to walk away. Go where you are celebrated. But Jesus told them, “The only place a prophet isn’t honored is in his hometown, among his relatives, and in his own house.” Mark 6:4