How To Apply For A Fiance(e) Visa In The UK?


If you are a fiance(e) of a British Citizen or a Permanent Resident present and settled in the United Kingdom, you can submit fiance(e) visa application to the British Embassy. The fiance(e) visa will be issued for six months and whilst on fiance(e) visa in the UK, you can register your marriage in the UK with your fiance(e). Following registration of your marriage, an application for switching into spouse visa can be made from inside the UK. A Fiance Visa allows you to marry your fiance in the United Kingdom.

Eligibility Requirements are:

  • Be 18 Years of age
  • 18,600 income threshold
  • A person of good character with no criminal conviction and no civil injunctions in the UK or in any other country
  • Have sufficient lingual ability in English, Welsh, Scottish or Gaelic
  • Meet general requirements
  • UK Fiance Visa applicants are usually required to be of a minimum age, meet English language, accommodation and maintenance (funds) requirements.

What are the General Requirements For Fiance(e) Visa?

  1. Your intended partner must be a British citizen or Permanent Resident who is present and settled in the UK at the time of your application.
  2. You and your partner must also both be over the age of 18 and not related to each other in a way that would revoke your right to marry in the UK.
  3. You must be able to prove that you and your partner have already met physically and not just online dating or webcam
  4. That your relationship is durable, ‘genuine and subsisting’. You may be invited by the Home Office for an interview where you and your partner will be assessed separately to establish whether the relationship is genuine.
  5. As part of your application, you need to be looking to enter the UK to marry or have your civil union, and you must plan to live together permanently in the UK.
  6. Once you have proven your relationship and intentions, you must also show that you can live in the UK and support yourself. This includes showing that you have sufficient English language skills to live in the UK, and that your partner can accommodate, maintain, and sustain himself or herself and dependants adequately without recourse to public funds.
  7. As part of the financial requirements, your partner must demonstrate that they have a gross income (before tax) of £18,600 per year. If they plan to sponsor your children, this will rise to additional £3,400 for the first child and then an additional £2,400 for each additional child. The income can be from being employed or self-employed, including income from sources such as rental properties or pensions.
  8. While many fiancés who want to live together in the UK do meet these requirements and have genuine relationships, often they do not know how to present their cases properly to the authorities and therefore aren’t allowed entry to the UK.
  9. While your relationship is the one thing that is under the most scrutiny for this visa, your immigration history and criminal record also count towards your application and may prevent you from gaining this visa.


About the Author:

Don Magsino MBA is a student of Oxford Brookes University at Post-Graduate Degree in Law in Oxford, England, UK. He is a graduate of Ateneo De Manila University Graduate School of Business. He is a qualified and a practicing Immigration Lawyer in the UK. His mobile phone is 07446888377 / Direct Line: 0207 316 3027 Email is don@stanfordlawassociates.co.uk. His London office is located at Regus, 239 Kensington High Street, London W8 6SN. He is accredited by the Law Society in England and Wales and regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) Level 3: highest level in immigration professionals. He has represented clients in the First-tier Tribunal, Immigration Detention Courts and Deportation and Bail Hearings and to the Upper Tribunal and won many difficult cases in immigration law in the United Kingdom.

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply