What Documents Required for Civil Partnership Visa Application in the UK?


An entry clearance application as a Proposed Civil Partner can be made to the British Diplomatic Post Overseas (British Embassy/High Commission) in order to register a Civil Partnership in the UK with a person present and settled in the UK. Civil Partner means a civil partnership which exists under or by virtue of the Civil Partnership Act 2004.

Entry requirements (when applying outside the UK)

  • On the date the applicant enters the UK, both the applicant and their sponsor must be over the age of 18,
  • They must be seeking leave to enter the UK for marriage or civil partnership to a person who is present and settled in the UK or who is on the same occasion being admitted to the UK for settlement.
  • The parties to the proposed marriage or civil partnership must have met.
  • Each of the parties must intend to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner after the marriage or civil partnership.
  • There must be adequate maintenance and accommodation, without recourse to public funds, available for them until the date of the marriage or civil partnership.
  • After the marriage or civil partnership there must be adequate accommodation for them and any dependants, without recourse to public funds, in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively.
  • After the marriage or civil partnership the parties must be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds.
  • They must have an original English language test certificate in speaking and listening from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, unless one of the exceptions apply.

Extension requirements (when applying in the UK)

  • On the date of the application, both the applicant and their sponsor must be over the age of 18
  • The applicant must have been admitted to the UK with a valid entry clearance as a fiancé or proposed civil partner of a settled person.
  • The applicant has shown that there is a good cause that the marriage or proposed civil partnership did not take place while they had leave to enter in this category.
  • There is satisfactory evidence that the marriage or civil partnership will take place at an early date.
  • They must meet the requirements for being granted entry clearance, explained above.


Don Magsino MBA is a student of Oxford Brookes University at Post-Graduate Degree in Law in Oxford, England, UK. He is a graduate of Ateneo De Manila University Graduate School of Business. He is a qualified and practicing Immigration Law in the UK. 07446888377 / 0207 316 3027. His London Office is located at Regus, 239 Kensington High Street, London W8 6SN. He is accredited by the Law Society in England and Wales and regulated by the OISC Level 3 (highest level in immigration professions). He has represented clients in the First-tier Tribunal, Immigration Detention Courts and Deportation and Bail Hearings and to the Upper Tribunal and won many difficult cases in immigration law in the United Kingdom.

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply